For your convenience, our most common customer questions are answered here.
This section contains Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) from the LSBPSE. Any further information needed can be obtained by e-mail to Info@LSBPSE.com , or by telephone 225-272-2310.
1. HOW DO I RECEIVE A COMPANY, QUALIFYING AGENT or INSTRUCTOR APPLICATION PACKET?
DOWNLOAD APPLICATION and FORMS PACKETS HERE
2. HOW MANY FINGERPRINT CARDS MUST ACCOMPANY A COMPANY APPLICATION, QUALIFYING AGENT APPLICATION OR AN INSTRUCTOR APPLICATION?
Two (2) Fingerprint cards per applicant. The fingerprint cards must be obtained from the Board office and accompanied by the Louisiana State Police Authorization and Disclosure forms are available HERE. The fee for fingerprints is $48.00.
3. WHAT IS THE MINIMUM GENERAL LIABILITY INSURANCE FOR A COMPANY AND INSTRUCTOR?
- COMPANY – General liability coverage of a minimum of $1,000,000.00 with the State of Louisiana named as Additional Insured and has minimum coverage of $1,000,000.00 for endorsements of Errors and Omissions and Care Custody and Control. A copy of the entire insurance policy must be submitted to the Board office at time of application and upon renewal of general liability insurance.
- INSTRUCTOR – General liability coverage of a minimum of $1,000,000.00 with the State of Louisiana named as Additional Insured if the instructor is an outside instructor. If the instructor is working for a company and is an in-house instructor, a letter from the company is needed indicating the instructor is covered by the company’s insurance.
4. HOW CAN A COMPANY OR INSTRUCTOR OBTAIN FORMS FROM THE BOARD OFFICE?
Forms may be requested via phone, fax, or e-mail. Forms are sent in sets of 25. Any requests for 100+ of the same form must be by written request via e-mail to Info@LSBPSE.com. Most forms can be downloaded from this website right HERE.
5. HOW DO I VERIFY SECURITY OFFICER TRAINING?
Call 225-272-2310 and choose extension “0” and someone at that extension can check the training dates for you. NOTE: Verify the training dates rather than accepting the potential employees word that training has been completed.
6. CAN A COMPANY REPRESENTATIVE OR INSTRUCTOR FAX DOCUMENTATION TO THE BOARD OFFICE?
Yes, ONLY when directed by a member of the LSBPSE staff. All other documentation MUST be in original form.
7. DOES A SECURITY OFFICER RECEIVE THE PERMANENT REGISTRATION CARD IF HE/SHE IS NOT WORKING FOR A LICENSED COMPANY?
No, a security officer must be ACTIVE with a licensed contract security company to receive a permanent registration card.
8. CAN SECURITY OFFICERS GET A COPY OF THEIR TRAINING?
Yes a security officer can get a copy of his/her training. It must be requested in writing with specific information as follows: security officer name, security officer social security number, type of training requested, and an address for mailing. Also, a security officer can get a copy of his/her training by coming to the board office and presenting photo identification. Email is always a faster and less cumbersome option.
9. IF A SECURITY OFFICER HAS BEEN REGISTERED WITH ANOTHER COMPANY DO WE HAVE TO SEND IN FINGERPRINTS?
Yes, every time an application, re-application, or dual application is sent to the board office all documentation is required as well as the fees. The fee for fingerprints is $48.00.
10. WHEN DOES THE LSBPSE ISSUE A PERMANENT SECURITY OFFICER REGISTRATION CARD?
LSBPSE issues the permanent registration credential after; all required training is completed, the certificates of training are received and processed by the board office, and the background check is cleared.
11. CAN A SECURITY OFFICER WORK FOR MORE THAN ONE COMPANY AT A TIME?
Yes they can!
11. HOW LONG IS A SECURITY OFFICER’S PERMANENT REGISTRATION CARD VALID?
The permanent registration card is valid for 2 years from date of hire listed on application.
12. HOW MANY DAYS DOES A COMPANY HAVE TO REINSTATE A SECURITY OFFICER THAT HAS BEEN TERMINATED?
A company can reinstate a security officer 60-days after termination. To reinstate a security officer, a company must submit a reinstatement form and a fee of $30, which includes a $10 administrative fee.
13. DOES A COMPANY NEED TO SEND AN AUTHORIZATION FORM AND DISCLOSURE FORM EVERY TIME FINGERPRINTS ARE SENT?
Yes they do!
14. WHAT KIND OF TRAINING IS REQUIRED FOR A SECURITY OFFICER IN LOUISIANA?
A security officer must receive 1st and 2nd eight (8) hours of classroom training from a state licensed instructor–totaling sixteen (16) hours. The 1st eight (8) hours is due 30 days from the date of hire and the 2nd eight (8) hours is due 60 days from the date of hire. An armed security officer must receive the initial firearms training from a state licensed instructor prior to standing an armed post. The officer must be trained with the weapon that will be carried on post.
15. HOW LONG IS TRAINING VALID?
The classroom training remains valid if the security officer remains actively working in the security business; however, all sixteen (16) hours of classroom prescribe if there is a 3 year absence from security, the security officer’s file will be purged and the classroom training will have to be taken again.
The firearm retraining must be performed every year within 1 year from the last date of training. If this is not done, the security officer must retake the initial firearms training.
16. HOW CAN I LOCATE A STATE LICENSED INSTRUCTOR?
You can call the board office for a list of instructors available in your area. All training must be received from a state licensed instructor.
17. WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR STANDING AN ARMED POST?
A security officer must receive the initial firearms training prior to standing a post and the training must be with the weapon to be carried while on post. If the weapon required for the site changes, the security officer must take the initial training for that weapon. The permanent registration card issued to that security officer must reflect the correct weapon used on that site.
18. WHAT FIREARMS ARE REGULATED BY THE STATE AND CAN BE CARRIED BY A SECURITY OFFICER?
Weapons regulated by the Louisiana State Board of Private Security Examiners
- .38 Revolver
- .357 Revolver
- 9mm Semi-Automatic
- .40 Semi-Automatic
- .45 Semi-Automatic
- Rifle – ***MUST HAVE APPROVAL FROM BOARD’S EXECUTIVE SECRETARY***
19. ONCE A SECURITY OFFICER WITH A CRIMINAL RECORD IS CLEARED TO WORK, WILL HE/SHE ALWAYS BE CLEARED?
The record is cleared as long as there are no new arrests or updates on the rap sheet.
20. CAN A SECURITY COMPANY RECEIVE INFORMATION ABOUT AN ARREST RECORD OF AN EMPLOYEE?
No from the files of the LSBPSE.
21. CAN A SECURITY OFFICER BE EMPLOYED/REGISTERED IF HE WAS DENIED WHILE EMPLOYED WITH ANOTHER COMPANY?
No. The security officer must submit sufficient documentation to the board office and have his/her record cleared before working.
22. HOW IS A COMPANY NOTIFIED OF AUDITS?
Routine Audit – A subpoena is sent via certified mail from the Board and is scheduled for inspection 15 days after receipt of notice.
Complaint Audit – An audit that stems from a complaint on a company, requires only 3 days notice before scheduling an inspection.
Investigative Audit – Requires no advanced notice.
23. WHAT RECORDS ARE REQUIRED TO BE RETAINED BY THE COMPANY PER LAC 46 Part LIX Chapter 8 Section 803.
(a) Current residence and phone number on all registrants
(b) Copy of application submitted to the Board
(c) Copy of all training verification submitted to the Board (if company is responsible for having security officer trained).
(d) Copy of registration card issued by the Board
(e) Copy of termination (if applicable)
24. HOW LONG IS A COMPANY REQUIRED TO RETAIN THE RECORDS FOR SECURITY OFFICERS?
Licensee is required to keep on file all Board required documents on each registrant in their employment for 3 years from date of termination.
25. HOW OFTEN ARE AUDITS CONDUCTED?
There is no specific time for routine audits. New companies are allowed 12 to 18 months to operate prior to an audit, unless an investigative audit needs to be performed or an audit is ordered by the Board.
26. WHEN WILL A COMPANY BE NOTIFIED OF THE RESULTS OF THE AUDIT?
Generally within 30 days.
27. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A COMPANY ISSUES A CHECK TO THE BOARD OFFICE THAT HAS BEEN RETURNED MARKED “NSF”?
A letter is sent to the company by certified mail. The company has 10 days to replace the check. We must have 2 money orders or cashiers check. One must be for $50.00 fine and one must be for the amount of the NSF check. If a company has two NSF checks that company then must pay only with a money order or cashiers check for a period of one year.
28. WHY SHOULD A COVER SHEET BE SUBMITTED FOR EACH PACKET SENT TO THE BOARD OFFICE?
(a) The cover sheet creates a written record of your submission.
(b) The cover sheet assures that the funds are applied the way you intended.
29. HOW OFTEN ARE BOARD MEETINGS HELD?
Board meetings are held at least once a quarter, but other meetings, such as committee or special meetings may be scheduled.